September 29, 2011

Moscato and a Book Review

After a dinner of: creamy mushroom chicken. roasted red potatoes w/ rosemary, corn on the cob, and Jasmine rice; I sat down to enjoy a great book with a glass of Moscato. It was light and tasty. Sweet but not overly so. Very refreshing with a citrus taste to it. From what I've read, Moscato is a dessert wine. I enjoyed it by itself.


 What was I reading? The first volume of Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith. Leon and I have been having fun watching the tv series, so I picked up the book from the library. It has a lot of similarities to the Twilight Saga, though it was published in 1991 and the first Twilight book was published in 2005. I love the writing style. It's easy to read and not too melodramatic. It is also VERY different from the television show.


The series follows Elena (in the book she's a gorgeous blonde). She falls hopelessly and helplessly in love with the good-hearted, self-loathing vampire, Stefan. Doomed from the start, they face one complication after the next. Enter Damon, the confident, cool, Rhett Butler-like dark hero you can't help but love. Now both vampires are in love with Elena and are self-sworn to her protection. Although, Damon (being the darker of the two) wouldn't mind Elena joining him for eternity, a beautiful companion to heal him of his loneliness.

I finished this volume. I went to get the next volume and it is checked out. I HATE when that happens!  I'm so tempted to go ahead and purchase a digital copy, but I'll attempt to delay satisfaction until whoever-has-my-book checks it back in. I just hope they do it soon.

I compared the book to the Twilight series. They both have a love triangle with a human girl loving a vampire. The human admits she has an attraction to both her suitors. She's willing to die, even become a monster herself to protect the ones she loves.

Now, I have only read the first book in this series, but there are many differences. Vampire Diaries is more suspenseful and less predictable. I found it a little darker than Twilight. Elena is an orphan. She's also the town beauty queen. She's been raised in small town Fells Church since birth. All her classmates are lifelong friends. She also does not want to become a vampire. At least so far...

If you liked Twilight, you should definitely check this series out.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!