September 17, 2010

Garden in Fall

This has not been the best year for gardening. It started off beautifully. My plants grew so fast and were so lush and green. The it just got too hot and way too dry. I got a fair amount of tomatoes, some peppers, and I'm just now getting cucumbers...if you can call them that.

My poor German Queen (bucket to the far right in wooden box) did not do well at all this year. She started off with a bad case of blossom end rot. But after I gave her a dose of calcium she didn't produce any more tomatoes at all. Now she's just withering away. The Celebrity tomatoes were very good, but much smaller than I was expecting. I'd say they were the size of a roma but round. The grape tomatoes were good. I'm still getting fruit off both of these plants.

Photobucket

I added a bunch of flowers this year. I decided I really love tending them. It's surprising because I'm not much of a flower person. I don't choose floral fabrics, and I don't care to get them as gifts. But I liked tending them. The pruning and watering each day was...relaxing. It felt good and I looked forward to my little chore each day.

My marigolds from the spring all died away. Leon bought me some Vincas and a Lantana. The Lantana was by far my favorite. The colors were so vibrant. Now it just looks like a bush...but I do see the start of a blossom. I'm hoping it will re-bloom for me.

*notice the Jedi Light Saber*

Photobucket

Photobucket

I honestly don't know what went wrong with my cucumbers. I planted them from seed. Next year I might cheat and buy plants.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!