October 30, 2009

Curry Coconut Pumpkin Soup

I was sort of experimenting with this recipe. None of the recipes online quite matched my ingredients.

Photobucket
  • 1/2 Pumpkin pealed, gutted, and cubed (not cooked)
  • 1 can coconut milk (the can in the Chinese section was cheaper than in the Mexican isle)
  • 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
  • 2 parts of the Golden Curry (it comes with 5 that break apart)
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • crushed red pepper
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp butter
I just needed enough soup for me and the kids. You can easily double this recipe to serve a crowd of 10-12.

Photobucket
 In a pan saute onions, garlic, and ginger until it starts to smell really good and onions are translucent.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Add in 1 cup of stock, can of coconut milk, butter, and curry until blended. If it seems too thick you can add more stock. It should be creamy but not as thick as gravy.

Photobucket
I wasn't sure how much of each seasoning I wanted to add, so after I had the base of my sauce I added in the seasonings to taste.

Photobucket
Then add in the uncooked pumpkin and simmer on low until the pumpkin falls apart. You can put it in the blender, but I just mashed it with a fork. It was pretty easy to do. I liked the texture this way.

PhotobucketThen I served it over Jasmine Rice.

My house has smelled good all afternoon from this soup. It was such a yummy blend of sweet and spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!