August 6, 2009

Writing and Spelling

Kelsea did Write Shop I with a group of friends a few years ago. I really like the way it's laid out. For each lesson the student writes a paragraph and learns a new skill. The lessons each have three tailor-made checklists: one for the student to use before they turn in their rough draft, one for the teacher to evaluate the work for the revision, and the third for the teacher to give a fair grade based on meeting the criteria for the lesson.

This year I am going to use Write Shop for Ishmael and Joshua. I'm going to schedule it over the course of two years. I'd rather take our time and learn from it slowly, especially since they are only in 4th and 5th grade.

Kelsea will start Write Shop II this year.

For spelling I am going to give Sequential Spelling a try. I like the look of it and that all of the kids will use it at the same time. Our family seems to do well with incremental studies. We've done four lessons now and so far it's going pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for Sequential Spelling! I'm going to give Write Shop a looksie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!