August 17, 2009

Popcorn

The kids love popcorn. It's one of their favorite treats. The microwave popcorn gets so expensive and my crew can easily go through 3 bags for one movie. So this week we are going to experiment with and learn about popcorn.

You gotta love Google. Without it we would know nothing about popcorn.org. And our existence would be meager indeed if it weren't for watching a video of popcorn popping in slow motion. This is a really cool video.

Today we are just making basic popcorn.

Cast of Characters:
Popcorn
paper sacks, 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, 1/4 cup oil, salt, and any mix-ins (M&M's)

My paper bags were HUGE. I had to cut off the top half of them. This is what the boys did with the trimmings.

Popcorn

Step One:
I put the oil in the pan with 3 kernels. Put the lid on and set the pan over med heat.
Popcorn

Step Two:
When the 3 kernels have popped, the oil is ready. Pour in the 1/2 cup of kernels.
Popcorn

Put on the lid, and shake the pan occasionally. You don't have to keep it constantly moving but it is good to give it a shake. I hold the lid down with the pot holder when I shake my pan.

Popcorn is ready when the popping slows down. Some say when they get to 2-3 seconds between popping. I don't wait that long and don't have very many old maids.

Step Three:

Pour the popcorn into a bowl (or paper bags) and shake in some salt. You can butter it at this point. Then add your mix-ins. The M&M's get warm and soft but not completely melted. Very yummy.
Popcorn

Please note: My bags were HUGE. The kids each got about 1 1/2 cups of popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!