January 7, 2008

From My Needles

I've been teaching myself how to knit. I have a lovely friend who came over to help with technique. I got frustrated and put my needles aside for a while. Before Christmas I picked them back up and decided I wanted my children to wear scarves in our artic weather here in the south...Anyway, somehow something clicked. I finally understood what I was looking at. I can recognize a knitted stitch from a pearl and how to fix mistakes.

These are washcloths I made out of 100% cotton. I cast-on 30 stitches and knitted until it looked square enough. Needless to say they are not exactly uniform in size. I experimented a bit with stitches.

Knit 1, Purl 2 makes for a pretty stitch:













This one I didn't use a pattern for. I played around and found out how to make a diagonal looking stitch. It has the most flaws but it was also the most fun to do:













This one I would knit 5 purl 5 for five rows, creating a waffled look:














Knit 2 rows, Purl 2 rows (or something like that):













Knitted all rows:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!