January 29, 2007

Calm Day

We stayed up really late last night playing games together. I think the kids went to bed at 12:30 and dh and I went to bed at around 2am. So, we all slept in late this morning. I woke up at 9 and didn't wake the kids till 10:15. I figured they needed the extra sleep and I got to get in a workout child-free this morning. It was nice.

I don't think we actually started school 'till after noon. We have been having a nice day though, in spite of the late start. We had our Bible study and I've been making time for them to study their verses and pledges for Awanas.

Speaking of Awanas...I did the program as a kid. I had alot of fun and all. However, as an adult I've become less and less thrilled with "child evangelism". Especially when they are targeted in the lower class communities. I believe it's the fathers who need to be equipped and saved so they can then lead their family into salvation. "For if I am saved my household is saved". I have always seen Awanas as such a program. Anyway...stepping off my soap box...I recently let the kids join a club. They are having so much fun!!! It really requires me to work with the younger guys and the older kids can work independently. I do help them with their drill but otherwise they are studying on their own.

While I still haven't completely changed my mind about child evangelism, I am seeing Awanas as a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!