November 2, 2009

Pumpkins and Cardamom Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Last week I baked pumpkins and froze the pulp for pumpkin pie.

I prefer baking my pumpkin rather than boiling. I think boiled pumpkin loses a lot of flavor in the water. It has been a few years since I baked a pumpkin (I've been using the canned stuff for convenience).

I've only ever done it one way: cut in half and baked with the seeds and goo still inside. I've done it because I read that it makes the insides easier to scoop out. So this time I asked myself, "Is this way really better? Or am I just doing it because it's what I've always done?" So I decided to experiment.

I cut my first pumpkin in half and the kids and I scooped out the goo inside. Then I baked them cut half down until I could insert a fork through the skin. Scooping out the goo was messy. And we pulled out a bunch of valuable pumpkin in our zeal to get it all out. (I did not think to take pictures of the first pumpkin.

I decided to make the Curry Coconut Pumpkin Soup a few days ago and only needed half the pumpkin. So I baked the half I didn't need, this time with the seeds and goo still inside.

Pumpkin Soup

The difference was astounding. The goo came out with so little effort.

Photobucket

Not only that but the seeds roasted much faster and were very yummy. The seeds from the first pumpkin took longer and absorbed more of the oil in the pan.

Photobucket

Cardamom Roasted Pumpkin Seeds:
  • pumpkin seeds 
  • oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom (you can use cinnamon instead)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  1. Spray seeds with olive oil and spread evenly in the pan. 
  2. dust with salt, sugar, and cardamom
  3. cook in a 400 deg oven until golden in color (5-10 min)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!