January 19, 2013

Morning People

I have joined the ranks in the rat race. Up at 5:30 am off to work at 7am. I love being a morning person. I go to bed at night looking forward to my morning coffee. I like carpool lines and seeing my kids off to school. I like the feeling that comes with being well organized and productive. It feels amazing.

I've always wanted to be a morning person. I gave it a good shot a couple of years ago. I got up every morning at around 6am and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Somewhere along the way I lost my motivation. Probably, I got sick and slept in for a couple of days and just slipped back into my old ways. Getting up at 9 or 10am didn't keep me from getting everything done, so why push myself?

Now my schedule is so full, there isn't time for sleep! So here I am at 6:30 am, fully dressed, hair and make-up done, ready for work. I got up at 4:30 this morning after a call from my staff letting me know there is a leak at my hotel. Thankfully, I was able to resolve the issue over the phone, but there wasn't much point to going back to bed.

I typically start my day at 5:30am. Some days it's still painful to get up so early. Some days I'm not as successful, hit the snooze, and wake up with only 20 minutes to get out the door. I really pay when that happens. I spend the whole day trying to catch up with myself.

Getting up early, I get to enjoy a cup of coffee. I can take my time getting ready. I also get some time to enjoy a book, catch up on facebook, or watch another episode of Buffy with my boys. I also check on statistics and revenue reports for work before I get to work. These small things make a big difference in my day.

Most importantly I get some quality time in with the kids. I'm not rushing, all focused on myself, so that we can get out the door. Instead, I'm paying attention to them, letting them know they are important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!