January 19, 2013

Bacon, Potato, Corn Chowder

This is THE must try recipe of the season.

IngredientsL

Ilb bacon
2 onions - finely chopped
2-4 jalepeno peppers - finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic - minced
Sage
Thyme
4 tbsp flour
6 Cups chicken broth
3 cups of cream (or half & half or milk-whatever)
*about 8 potatoes
*about 4 carrots
2 bags of corn
Salt
Pepper

*All of my numbers are approximate. I cook for a large family with 3 teenagers. I like to enough so that I can pretend there will be leftovers (there never are). You can't mess this one up. This would also be a great recipe for using up any root vegetables in the fridge.

Cook the bacon them remove (leaving the grease in the pan). In the bacon grease cook the onion, garlic, peppers.

When the onions are clear and soft add the herbs and the flour and cook another minute or two.

To get all of the mix out of the pan, I add some of the liquid and whisk. Then I pour it all into a stock pot. I throw in the rest of the ingredients and cook until the vegetables are tender.

We top ours with a little cheddar and serve with salad and dinner rolls. This chowder makes for a very hearty meal that is easy on the budget.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!