June 8, 2011

Garden Visitors

I went out to visit my garden and found this guy hanging out in my carrots (he'll become a beautiful black swallowtail butterfly). Unfortunately for him, I am not willing to share this crop.


So I moved him to my cilantro. I have plenty of it, and don't mind sharing. He seemed to be okay with the compromise and made himself at home.


On further investigation of my cilantro, I found these guys working hard at something. I haven't decided if they are friend or foe. I did a Google search and only came up with mealybugs.


They look more spider-like to me...though I only counted 6 legs. It's really hard to see them clearly through all the fuzz. They aren't flat like all the pictures of mealybugs I've seen. I'm holding out for a better id on them before I eradicate them from the garden bed. We don't want another milkweed assassin conundrum.

If you or any of your friends can identify this bug for me, I'd sure appreciate it.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!