April 30, 2012

Monkey Butter


Monkey Butter Ingredients

5 medium, perfectly ripe bananas (no brown spots), peeled and sliced
1/2 of a ripe pineapple
1/4 cup ground coconut
3tbsp lemon juice
3 cups organic white sugar

I chopped the pineapple and crushed it with the flat side of my knife.


Peel and slice the bananas and add it to the sugar, coconut, and lemon juice in a heavy pot.



Then I scraped the pineapple, juice and all, into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.


Bring it all to a boil and cook it until the bananas dissolve and the jam thickens.


Towards the end the Monkey Butter was as thick as I wanted it but the bananas were still chunky, so I used a potato masher to help them along.


Fill your jars leaving 1/4-1/2 inch headspace (sorry for blurry picture but you get the idea).


Process the jars in a waterbath for 15 minutes.


Monkey butter is delicious spread over whole wheat toast in the morning, mixed in with yogurt for an afternoon snack, or served on top of ice cream.


It's a very simple recipe that is great to practice your canning skills.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep blogging!